The Lakes Area Law Enforcement Employment Co-op is a group of 11 law enforcement agencies in a four county area of northwest Iowa. These agencies have joined together to share the financial costs of eligibility tests and to make the application system more efficient for both the agencies and the applicants. Applicants who participate in this testing procedure will be eligible for any and all of the agencies within this cooperative that they choose. All law enforcement positions in these agencies will be filled from the list established by this testing procedure.
- Armstrong Police Department
- Arnolds Park Police Department
- Clay County Sheriff's Office
- Dickinson County Sheriff's Office
- Emmetsburg Police Department
- Estherville Police Department
- Lake Park Police Department
- Milford Police Department
- Okoboji Police Department
- Spirit Lake Police Department
- Spencer Police Department
The Application Process
|Download and complete the APPLICATION|
|Download, read, and sign the WAIVER OF CLAIMS|
|Download, read, and sign the RELEASE OF INFORMATION|
Mail all three of the above listed documents to:
You may also drop off the documents at the Dickinson County Sheriff's Office located inside the Dickinson County Courthouse at 1802 Hill Avenue, Suite 1200, in Spirit Lake, Iowa. The courthouse is at the intersection of 18th Street (US 71/Iowa 9) and Hill Avenue in downtown Spirit Lake.
Applications must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. on March 8, 2019
Physical agility and P.O.S.T. testing will be held on March 29 and March 30, 2018 at the Regional Wellness Center, 415 S 18th Street in Estherville, Iowa. We will notify you via e-mail if your application has been accepted and ask you which test date you wish to attend. The cost to test will be $15.00, cash only.
- The eligibility list established by this procedure will be recognized for no longer than one year.
- For those currently serving in the Armed Forces, and cannot make the testing dates, you must still complete and send an application by the date listed. We will make arrangements with you to conduct testing once you complete your military service.
- The POST practice exam is available for sale to applicants through S&A's ApplyToServe website for a nominal charge of $15.00. The study guide is available for $5.00. We strongly encourage applicants to purchase the practice exam.
- For wage and benefit information, please contact the individual departments.
Iowa minimum standards for peace officers will be require, pursuant to Code of Iowa and Iowa Administrative Code. Iowa Law Enforcement Academy minimum physical fitness performance requirements will also be required:
|Sit & Reach||16.5||15.5||14.3||13.3||12.5|
|1 Minute Sit-up||38||35||29||24||19|
|1 Minute Push-up||29||24||18||13||10|
|1.5 Mile Run||12:51||13:36||14:29||15:26||16:43|
|Sit & Reach||19.3||18.3||17.3||16.8||15.5|
|1 Minute Sit-up||32||25||20||14||6|
|1 Minute Push-up||15||11||9||12*||5*|
|1.5 Mile Run||15:26||15:57||16:58||17:54||18:44|
|* Females in excess of 49 years of age may do pushups on their knees.|
All non-certified applicants must satisfactorily complete the physical agility and P.O.S.T. tests. Transferring of scores will not be allowed. Applicants who are certified and have not had an employment break of more than 180 days at the time of the test will be placed on the eligibility list and subject to only additional requirements by the agencies.
All agencies reserve the right to require additional testing and/or information for the applicants who show interest in that agency, and those additional requirements will be conducted by that agency.