- Last Updated on Sunday, 10 June 2012 14:18
- Published on Sunday, 10 June 2012 13:48
At 1:52 am (Sunday, June 10) the Dickinson County Communications Center received a 911 call reporting a person missing from a boat in East Lake Okoboji. The Arnolds Park/Okoboji Dive Team was dispatched along with Spirit Lake Fire Department, DNR Lakes Patrol and several law enforcement agencies to the area of the boat ramp across from Kum & Go in Okoboji.
At approximately 6:45 a.m., while search operations were underway, crews conducting a shoreline search discovered the body of 26 year old Jennifer Johnson from Estherville, in an area west of Chalstrom Beach.
An investigation into the incident concluded that the victim was swimming from a boat with others when she disappeared. The boat was driven by Tim Denver from Spirit Lake and owned by Josh Kirschbaum from Spirit Lake.
Agencies involved in the search include:
- Dickinson County Sheriff's Office
- Dickinson County Communications Center
- Dickinson County Emergency Management
- Arnolds Park/Okoboji Fire, Rescue & Dive Team
- Spirit Lake Fire Department – Water Rescue Team
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources
- Okoboji Police Department
- Arnolds Park Police Department
- Milford Police Department
- Lakes Regional Healthcare Ambulance
Note: Corrected press release to add the time the victim was located.