- Last Updated on Friday, 14 February 2014 16:33
- Published on Friday, 14 February 2014 16:33
On Friday, February 14, at approximately 11:19 a.m., the The Dickinson County Sheriff's Office responded to a motor vehicle accident in the 2800-mile of Highway 9 & 71, approximately 3 miles east of Spirit Lake.
An investigation by the Sheriff's Office found that a 2002 Chevy Venture driven by Andrew Butterworth, age 35 of Spirit Lake, was westbound and attempting to pass multiple vehicles. Butterworth was unable to complete the pass and collided head-on with an eastbound 2006 Ford F-150 pickup driven by Gregory Kuemper, age 52 of Estherville. The collision sent both vehicles into the south ditch of the highway. Kuemper had to be extricated from his vehicle. Both drivers were transported to Lakes Regional Healthcare, Butterworth with non-incapacitating injuries, Kuemper with incapacitating injuries.
Butterworth was cited for Unsafe Passing. Road conditions were icy at the time of the accident.
The Sheriff's Office was assisted on the scene by:
- Spirit Lake Police Department
- Dickinson County Emergency Management
- Lakes Regional Healthcare Ambulance
- Superior Fire & Rescue
- Spirit Lake Fire Department
- Spirit Lake First Responders
- Lakes Area Extrication Unit/Milford Fire Department
- Jennings Tow & Repair